The European Science Foundation and US National Science Foundation partner to host the Women’s International Research Engineering Summit (WIRES) to be held in Barcelona, Spain, June 2-4, 2009.
Do you do research in one of the following areas, or know women who do?
- Simulation based engineering
- Nano/micro technology
- Energy systems
We are looking for women researchers who are interested in pursuing international collaborative researching opportunities in these research areas to attend the upcoming first annual WIRES international summit. The main objective of this summit is to enable meaningful and sustainable research exchanges between female engineers from around the world while identifying issues faced by females pursuing careers in engineering that could benefit from a global strategy. The summit site will be the Hewlett Packard Research and Development Center in Barcelona, Spain. Because of the foundation and corporate support, there will be no conference fee charged for academic women engineers who are chosen to attend the summit. If you are a female engineering researcher and are interested in attending the summit or want more details, I encourage you to apply at our web site:
http://www.wires.gatech.edu/ (click on the „Apply Now“ button).
If you know of other female researchers who may be interested in attending the summit, please forward this information to them.
Some of the goals of WIRES are to:
- Provide an opportunity to create personal, sustainable relationships among female engineers that will lead to collaborative research efforts.
- Identify common issues and provide a clear, visible pathway for females to pursue international collaborations.
- Identify methods of securing funding for international collaborations from federal agencies, international sources, the private sector, foundations, etc.
- Generate a database of female faculty who are interested in conducting international research.
Thank you for your help in identifying good candidates to attend the first Women’s International Research Engineering Summit!
Dr. Mary Lynn Realff
Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Affairs School of Polymer, Textile & Fiber Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0295